The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is the newest international financial institution. It was established in 2015 with two stated purposes: 1) to “foster sustainable economic development, create wealth and improve infrastructure connectivity in Asia by investing in infrastructure and other productive sectors” and 2) to “promote regional cooperation and partnership in addressing development challenges by working in close collaboration with other multilateral and bilateral development institutions.”
The AIIB has moved very quickly to become operational, and is already beginning to finance its first projects. BIC is working with partners in the South and North to advocate for the AIIB to adopt strong policies and procedures as well as monitor projects to ensure that the AIIB implements those procedures.
BIC’s specific areas of focus are:
- Stakeholder Engagement and Consultation
- Transparency and Accountability
- Protection for human rights and the environment
Below is a map of the AIIB’s current Directors and constituent countries (as of July 2016):
- The Tarbela 5 hydropower extension project in Pakistan is one of the first investments made by the world’s newest multilateral bank – the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
The Tarbela 5 hydropower extension project in Pakistan is one of the first inves...
- Civil Society Calls on AIIB to Develop an Accountability Mechanism
The AIIB approved $1.7 billion in financing for nine projects in 2016, but still...
- Civil Society Analysis Finds AIIB Access to Information Policy Needs Improvement
REUTERS/Mark Schiefelbein/Pool The Centre for Law and Democracy (CLD) and the Ba...
- Upcoming AIIB Board Meetings
The AIIB has indicated that upcoming meetings of the Board of Directors will be...
- Civil society submissions on AIIB Energy Sector Strategy
In fall 2016, civil society organisations working on development and climate cha...
Civil society submissions on AIIB Energy Sector Strategy:
- Comments on the AIIB Energy Strategy – Joint Submission by Energy Foundation China, China Energy Efficiency Investment and Assessment Committee, Deutsche Umwelthilfe e.V., International Institute for Energy Conservation, Climate & Strategy Partners, Climate Advisers, November 2016
- Energy Foundation China, Energy Efficiency Investment and Assessment Committee of China Energy Research Society – Notes on Mainstreaming Energy Efficiency in the AIIB, September 2016
- WWF’s Comments on AIIB Energy Strategy: Sustainable Energy for Asia (Issue Note For Discussion), November 2016
- Friends of the Earth US Comments on AIIB Energy Strategy, November 2016
- Friends of the Earth Asia-Pacific (FOE Apac) Comment on the Draft AIIB Energy Strategy, November 2016
- Rivers without Boundaries Coalition and Sosnovka Coalition of Environmental and Indigenous Groups of Siberia and Russian Far East Comments (In Russian)
- Submission from People’s Movement and other CSOs from India
- NGO Forum on ADB’s Critique of “AIIB Energy Strategy: Sustainable Energy for Asia Issues Note for Discussion” (Cover Letter), November 2016
- Comments from UK-based civil society organizations, November 2016
- Submission from Civil Society Organisations of the Central Asian countries, September 2016
Civil society submissions on AIIB Safeguards:
- Comments on Environmental and Social Framework and Consultation Process, Friends of the Earth US
- Comments on the Draft Environmental and Social Framework of the AIIB, United Nations Human Rights Council
- Submission to the AIIB Environmental and Social Framework Consultation, Amnesty International
- Comments on the AIIB’s Draft Environmental and Social Framework , German Institute for Human Rights
Annex: Ratification of core Human Rights treaties by AIIB founding members and corresponding voting shares
Annex: ILO Membership,Ratification of ILO Core Labour Standards Convention and ICESCR of AIIB founding members
- Comments to AIIB: Regarding the Environmental and Social Framework and Consultation Process, Friends Of the Earth
- Recommendations on the AIIB ESF on coal, BIC
- Comments on Draft ESF, Inclusive Development International
- Summary of Urgent Issues in AIIB Draft ESF, NGO Forum on ADB
- Recommendations concerning labour provisions of AIIB’s draft ESF, International Trade Union Confederation and Global Unions
- Letter to Mr. Linqun on draft ESF, Coalition for Human Rights in Development
- Recommendations on the AIIB ESF Consultation, Oxfam
AIIB Policy Documents
AIIB Summary of Comments Received on Energy Issues Note – December, 2016
AIIB Energy Strategy: Sustainable Energy for Asia Issues Note for discussion – October, 2016
Environmental and Social Framework (Safeguards) Policy – Feb, 2016
Public Information Interim Policy – January, 2016
– Public Information Interim Policy in Russian (Unofficial Translation)
Operation Policy on Financing – January, 2016
Code of Conduct on Bank Personnel – January, 2016
Code of Conduct for Board Officials – January, 2016
AIIB Draft Safeguards Policy – January, 2016
Infrastructure Policy Manager