BIC is an equal opportunity employer, and encourages all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of race, gender, age, national origin, or sexual orientation.
Strategic Projects Intern
The Bank Information Center (BIC) partners with civil society in developing and transition countries to influence the World Bank and other international financial institutions (IFIs) to promote social justice and ecological sustainability.
We are looking for a smart, proactive individual who has excellent research and writing skills, and a good grasp of international development issues. S/he will primarily be responsible for supporting BIC’s program on disadvantaged and vulnerable groups, including women, children and persons with disabilities. S/he will be based in our headquarters in Washington, DC.
The internship is ideal for individuals seeking knowledge and experience on issues relating to multilateral institutions, development, child rights, women’s rights and citizen engagement. Our informal, dynamic structure enables interns to become immersed in BIC’s day-to-day operations and gain extensive practical experience and knowledge of the World Bank and other IFIs.
• Write web updates and newsletters related to BIC’s policy advocacy and capacity building work on
• Conduct research into World Bank policies, projects and strategies and prepare short briefing memos for BIC staff
• Assist in mapping BIC’s work on problem projects over the past decade
• Assist in disseminating information to partners, and responding to inquiries from partners, related to World Bank activities
• Attend meetings and events related to various issues in international development including those hosted by the World Bank
• Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline such as (but not limited to) Political Science, Social Science, International Development, Regional Studies, Economics, and Environmental Studies is preferred
• Experience with, or ability to learn, basic website management skills
• Ability to work without supervision and as part of a team
• Outstanding writing skills
• Strong research skills
• Commitment to economic, environmental and social justice
• Familiarity with, or interest in learning about, the World Bank Group
SALARY AND DURATION
BIC will assist with gaining school credit and will pay a monthly stipend of $1000. Intern must be willing to work a minimum of 25 hours per week and make at least a six month commitment.
Send a cover letter explaining your interest in this position and resume/CV to email@example.com, by September 23, 2016. Write “Strategic Projects Intern” on the subject heading. No phone calls please. Due to capacity constraints, BIC will only reply to short-listed candidates.
The Bank Information Center (BIC) partners with civil society actors in developing and transition countries to influence the World Bank and other international financial institutions (IFIs) to promote social and economic justice and ecological sustainability. BIC is an independent, non-profit, non-governmental organization that advocates for the protection of rights, informed participation, transparency, and public accountability in the governance and operations of the World Bank and other regional development banks.
We are seeking an Operational Associate for our headquarters office in Washington DC to provide administrative and finance support to the organization. This position will report to the Director of Finance and Administration.
- Work closely with the Director of Finance and Administration to ensure smooth operation of all finance matters.
- Input accounting data into the accounting system with speed and accuracy.
- Assist in the production of financial statements and applications, preparation of spreadsheets, reports and correspondence as required.
- Assist with organization of meetings and conferences, and help with logistical matters, including travel, accommodation, and visa processing needs of BIC staff and official guests.
- Track office supply inventory and approve supply orders.
- Answer and direct phone calls.
- Receive and direct guests.
- Service and attend staff meetings; take minutes of meetings when required.
- Establish and maintain computerized databases of the organization’s service providers, contacts and other relevant information when required.
- Provide research assistance for BIC different programs as needed.
- Highly organized with ability to prioritize, multi-task, and take initiative;
- Excellent written, oral communication, and interpersonal skills;
- Detail-oriented, and able to exercise discretion and troubleshoot problems;
- At least 1 year of relevant experience;
- Demonstrated interest in social justice or international development;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Experience in Accounting/Booking and Quickbooks software are a plus;
- Bachelor’s degree and U.S. work authorization required.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
This is a full-time entry-level staff position. Salary will be commensurate with experience. BIC offers outstanding benefits including generous annual leave with pay, fully-covered health insurance, and a friendly work atmosphere in an international team.
Send a cover letter explaining your interest in this position and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled. Applicants should apply as soon as possible. Write “Operational Associate” on the subject head. No phone calls please. Due to capacity constraints, BIC will only reply to short-listed candidates.